Tuesday, July 6

a poem for the week

for the week

you are measly and grinning
but not unperfectly happy,
wishing that you had thirty dollars
to buy Tony Little's
Micropedic Body Pillow because
he says it's cool. not cool as in it's hip,
but because it's just not temperature-hot
and you want it anyways.
you gawk at the compartments and
the number sixty million
because this is your head we are talking about
for Christ's sake.
this is your spine.

i hit my head against a
rock for five hours today
with my eyes open
and my hands to my side
while maintaining a steady rate of breathing
and i swear
it was the best sleep i ever had.

we wait and we wait and
we wait and we
wait and
we
wait and we wait and we
wait and we wait
and we
wait and we
wait and
we wait.

you told me to put olive oil
on my plants to keep the bugs off
because you are hippie-esque in your green ways
and your love-thy-earth mantra
never sounds not hollow enough.
pesticides kept bugs off my plants.
olive oil not only did not keep bugs off my plants,
it fucking killed my plants.
what is less righteous? i just wish
my plants didn't die.

so this guy walks into
a store and sees his girlfriend and
screams, "DO YOU WANT ME TO BREAK UP WITH
YOU?!" the girl just smiles and hangs
up her phone and they don't talk
much after that. guy goes this way
girl goes that way. no one except
the two of them could really
actually care. both guy and girl
become depressed and guy overdoses
on ambien when girl cuts her arms.
the story isn't tragic. they
thought it was, but it's just
stupid and a waste of time and life.

we wait and wait.

we pull out lunch meat and cheese at
seven in the morning and leave it out at
room temp until two in the afternoon.
then we put everything back in the fridge
and we do it all over again tomorrow.
come eat our breakfast sandwiches.

a blind man said to me the other day:
"last night a beautiful woman
came up to me and said, 'i can give you
super sex.'"
i stared at him blankly like
his glazed eyes looked out the
window.
"i turned to her," he said still
looking out the window,
"and i said, 'thank you, but
i'll just take the soup."

1 comment:

  1. damn this is all so awesome. keep it coming man! and maybe you should start putting olive oil on your breakfast sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete